Monday, February 27, 2012

Lungs

I forget how hard I swam against the tide to get where I am now.
To unexpectedly meet you when I hit the shore.
Lifeless and out of breath. Waterlogged angels carried me.
I remember vividly watching the reflection of light on each bubble reach the surface.
Dark blues with golden accents.
How'd you get the invitation to my funeral?
Heard you whisper from a thousand decades away that 'if you come back to me...',
Felt your fingers in my hair.
My eyelashes felt as though they were cat tails when I tried to open.
The world had been pollinated with ideas that things were good, because we trudged through bad to get to better levels.
But each level looks like same when you're alone.
I spent so much time looking up that I hadn't realized how far we've climbed.
Pause.
This time I'll finally breathe. Breathe me in with you.
Let me rest on your chest and tell me again why it's worth it, not because I need convincing,
But because I love the way the light still shines in you.

-Saree McClaran

No comments:

Post a Comment